Pages

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Back to School

I've been thinking a lot about going back to school as the new year approaches. I have more thoughts than I really care to have...some good, some not so good. Every year, about this time my heart starts drooping and I get pretty sad that summer is almost over. I absolutely LOVE the summer. I love getting to spend the day with my sweet girls with no agenda except going to the zoo, the park, the mall, or anywhere else that sounds like a good place to be. I love vacations and flip-flops and afternoon naps. No last minute lesson plans to make perfect, no midnight runs to walmart for supplies I thought I had for the lab the next day. No getting the girls up and off to school by 7:00, not to see them again till 5:00 later that day. Summer is so carefree and relaxing...can't the whole year be this way?

Then I think about all my students...all 150 (give or take) that I'll soon see everyday. Students that I will have the chance to burn a lasting impression in their lives and hopefully hearts. Last year I purposed in my heart to see my students as more than just students. I wanted to see them as God would have me see them. This changed a lot of my responses and I became intentional in what I said. Many students became very dear to my heart. I even got to share the Gospel with one entire class, many of whom had NEVER heard it before...kids in our own backyard that have NEVER heard the Gospel...my classroom is a true mission field. I pray that I will see it that way everyday.

All this sounds great, but most of the time I felt that I wasn't connecting the dots so that my students would see that it was Christ in me that made the difference in my attitude. Throughout the year, I would often question myself (or was it God convicting me?), "Does so-and-so even know that I'm a Christian? Do I speak unashamedly of His love and forgiveness?" In response, I'd defend myself, "Well, can't they see the kind heart I have? Can't they see how I don't respond in anger?" But, I knew that wasn't good enough. And then, this last Sunday, God spoke through Terry (our pastor) and convicted me again! He spoke about connecting the good deeds we do with the Gospel. We have to purposefully make the connection between what we do and say with Jesus. Doing good is not the goal! Even unbelievers do good! What makes us different is the reason behind the doing good...Jesus! And if I can't help my students see that the good flows out of Christ in me, then I'm no different than an unbeliever. I pray that this year, I will be bold and courageous so that Christ will be exalted through my "doing good."

4 comments:

Heather Lollis said...

Lesley I commend you for your powerful words! I truly can identify with what you have written and want you to know that you have inspired me and that I have always admired you as a teacher and truly say that you are awesome!

Unknown said...

Heather, thanks for the encouraging words! I am definitely going to miss you this year!

Anonymous said...

You are such a good writer with so much to say. God Bless you.

Anonymous said...

You are such a good writer with so much to say. God Bless you.