Pages

Sunday, October 17, 2010

Rest

Can you tell it's been busy around here? School is in full swing and there's barely time to do anything "extra" like update this blog. The girls are settled into their new routines at school, Justin is really enjoying his new school (and got A's in both seminary classes he just finished!), and I'm really loving my students and department this year. Praise God for His goodness! Though, I pray that I would say the same praise even if things were not so great. We went to the pumpkin patch yesterday and I hope to get pictures up soon. Jordan had a great time...her favorite was the giant slide! But, the pumpkin patch is not what this blog post is about.

Like I said already, our lives have been stuffed full of busy! We're pulled in every direction and I've felt overwhelmed and exhausted pretty much since school started. Mostly, there has been an overwhelming sense of unrest in my heart and life. These feelings were normal on a good day. Imagine the stress when my kids got sick or something came up unexpected. It was all downhill from there! I was beginning to dream of summer again, looking forward to the peace and rest that would come only when school was out in May. But, through God's Word and conviction, He exclaimed, "Rest in me! Not when summer gets here, but now!" And you know what He asked me to do? The same thing He asked His people to do thousands of years ago...take a day of rest. How simple! One of the Ten Commandments! If I think it important enough not to steal or kill another person (also among the Ten Commandments), then shouldn't I also think it important enough to take a day of rest? So, last week started my "official" day of rest. I got to have a little Bible study with my girls, play with them, read the Word, journal, and pray. I didn't worry about the chores that needed done (at least tried not to!). I simply got to rest in God. And today is my second day of rest. It has been REALLY good. Praise Him in His Holiness and Faithfulness!

1 comment:

Karie said...

I love hearing how He is working in your life and speaking to your heart! Rest in Him!!