Pages

Friday, February 24, 2012

Flashback Friday

I missed last week, so I'm trying to get one in today. Words will be few, as I'm typing with one hand. Bo is occupying the other:)

I talked about playing volleyball last time and how much I loved it. I actually played 4 sports in high school: volleyball, basketball, track, and softball. Today I'll talk about my least favorite--track. I was a sprinter and ran the 100, 200, and one of those in a relay. Did I mention I disliked track? For one, I hated the cold. Meets were always sooo cold! And they were so boring and long while you waited for your race to start. Also, I would get so nervous before a race that I would often puke. I still get the butterflies in my stomach just thinking about being in the blocks and hearing the starter say, "On your mark. Get set. BANG!"

So, maybe you're wondering why I did it? Truthfully, I liked winning. I liked hearing other runners say things like, "Oh, we have to run against her?" I did track because I was good at it and hoped I could go to state in it. So I stuck with it. I have a shoebox full of medals hiding away in my closet, but none of them from state. I never made it. So what's significant about this? I got to know girls from other schools, something that doesn't happen when you're not bored to death. I learned a little independence and responsibility. But most of all, I learned perseverance (don't quit when things aren't fun) and humility (can't win them all).
Jordan saw this picture and asked where the other runners were. Oh, I left them in the dust:) Or maybe they left me in the dust.

No comments: