Pages

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Without God, nothing else can satisfy

"Meaningless! Meaningless!...Utterly meaningless! Everything is meaningless!" Ecclesiastes 1:2

This book of the Bible has been heavily on my mind recently. Today, I spent my day with the Lord reading through each chapter. Over the course of this year, my eyes have been opened to see the meaninglessness of the "things" my students fill their hearts and minds with--partying, drugs, boys, girls, sex, popularity, fame, attractiveness, money, success, grades...the list goes on and on. Ecclesiastes 3: 11 says that "He has also set eternity in the hearts of men." My students try to fill up this eternity in their hearts with pleasures and practices that are completely unfullfilling, even destructive, all the while running from God, the only one who can truly fulfill their hearts' desire. I see the hunger for something more, a thirst for a life with purpose and meaning, but there is a lostness about them, wandering as though they were blind in the worldliness of our culture.

My heart is burdened and grieved for the lost that can't seem to find their Savior. I want their lives to matter; I want them to find true meaning and purpose; I want them to be found and saved by the One that gave His life for them. Without God, nothing else can satisfy. I know the hunger and thirst in their hearts...we all do (God put eternity in the hearts of everyone). This is what Jesus means when He says "Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, but whoever drinks the water I give him will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life." John 4:13-14. Jesus fills our eternity, and we realize that filling up with the pleasures of this world become utterly meaningless, a chasing after the wind.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very good Lesley!! Thank you for shring. Deana

Unknown said...

excellent job Lesley--good stuff