Pages

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Happy Father's Day to My Dad

Happy Father's Day, Dad! I wish I had a picture handy of us together from back in the day that I could post, but I can't find one. I started thinking about some of my favorite memories of getting to be your daughter, and some that aren't so great, but were real life lessons for me:

*Dad, you may come across gruff sometimes, but you've got a really soft heart. I think I got my love for living things from you. You let me bring home any animal I found. You truly care for your own animals, too, probably more than a "true" farmer should! Taking care of bottle calves, show calves, rabbits, dogs, cats, horses, goats, etc. was a huge part of growing up for me.

*You made it to most of my ball games, even though you can't stand sports! You and Mom were my biggest fans.

*I treasure the bedtime stories you read to us kids every night before bed.

*I think mine and your "love language" is quality time. I enjoyed (most of the time) going to check cows with you, even though you didn't really need anyone to come along.

*When I had just turned 19 and a boy from college drove down to take me out over a weekend and you put your foot down. You said I was deliberately disobeying you, but I went anyway. About 30? miles down the road, the boy's truck broke down and I had to humbly call you to come rescue us. You brought your farm truck and towed us all the way home. I forgot to mention that it was well below freezing out!

*Thanks for never expecting less from us than the best.

I love you, Dad!

No comments: