Pages

Monday, July 25, 2011

Becoming a Homemaker

Wow. This woman is challenging me beyond belief. I just happened to stumble upon her site, The Prudent Homemaker, and she is inspiring me to change the way I run my home. Because of her careful planning, she was able to feed her family (of 8!) for nearly two years out of her pantry and garden when they lost their income. She did not go grocery shopping for MONTHS, and when she did for the first time, she only had $20 to spend.

I am challenged because I have pretty much been living the complete opposite of her for many years. I don't look for sales, I buy what looks good, I never use coupons, I don't stock up, I don't plan ahead, I don't know how to make anything from scratch...I could go on and on. But, I want to learn. I've been working full time, about 10 hours a day teaching, so I always had the excuse that I don't have time to do all those things. And I really didn't have time. However, now that I'm going to be a stay-at-home mom, my "work" is changing. I want to be good at running our home, just like I wanted to be good at teaching.

Where do I start? Well, I'm not sure right now. I've been in the mind-set of summer break, so I haven't started doing anything yet. I said I'd start a routine and schedule when the school year started. Well, guess what? Justin started the school year today. I think I can start being a good homemaker today, too. I know that I can't "do it all" but I've thought of a few things I wanted to focus on learning and doing now:
1. learning to cook from scratch (bread, spaghetti sauce, etc.)
2. Buying food on sale, using coupons, and planning ahead. (especially important because we are becoming a one income family)
3. learning to can(?) kind of scares me because of the possibility of botulism toxin in home canning, but seems like a good thing to be able to do. Anyone want to teach me how to can? :-) Maybe I could learn to can baby food for this next little one.
4. Starting a garden. Too bad we don't have good Iowa soil here. Mom's garden was always the best. This will have to wait till spring, but I can at least be planning before then.
5. "homeschooling" Jordan for pre-school. My first (and only) year home with her before kindergarten.
6. Serving Justin. This story was also challenging for me, because, like the wife in the story, I felt like I worked to exhaustion everyday, but it never seemed to be enough. I want Justin to LOVE coming home from work and feel at peace in a well-managed home.

9 comments:

Meli n Pat said...

I've had very similar thoughts in the past couple years. Being an efficient homemaker is not a light task! Wish we could take a class together to learn to can - something I've thought of as well. It sounds like you have a good handle on keeping it real (not getting down on yourself for not being fabulous at all of this right away!). I'll be staying tuned to find out good tips!!

Linda Whited said...

You could try freezing some stuff, until you learn to can. I have always been afraid of canning things also. You know me and my fears about food poison. It is really harder than anyone thinks to stay at home. You'll get the hang of it, desire is half the battle. You'll do fine I know.

TheHappyNeills said...

You'll do great. And don't worry if you don't meet all those goals. . . it will probably take years! :) Give yourself a lot of grace, especially with the upcoming arrival of a THIRD child!!! :)

Unknown said...

Melissa--too bad you don't live close! It may be a long while before there's any tips posted on here, but please stay tuned!

Linda--I think freezing would be a great alternative, especially since we have an extra freezer. And, I actually did think of you and your fears when I thought about canning!

Kendra--thanks, I'm trying to keep my goals doable so that I don't get burnt out! Maybe you can teach me how to spend less! That is one thing that is a must!

Ruby K said...

You have a lofty goal, but I agree with the other comments, take "little steps" don't try to do everything overnight. You still have a pretty "full" plate. And, I'm with Linda, freeze, it is easier and doesn't carry near as much risk. I also think frozen veggies taste better, more like fresh.

Good Luck!!

Brandy @ The Prudent Homemaker said...

This was an incredibly sweet thing to read this morning!

Don't be afraid of canning. Start with fruits and jams; they're the easiest! Make sure everything is clean and sterile in your kitchen before beginning. Follow all of the instructions, and as long as your lids seal, they'll keep for a long time! Anything that doesn't seal can be put in the firdge to eat.

Fall is a wonderful time to garden. You can preparre ths soil to expand you garden in the spring (till it, or cover the grass with black tarps and rocks to hold the tarps down to kill the grass; start this now). Fall is the best time to plant fruit trees; it helps them to establish a good root system. You can plant the same things now that you would plant in the spring: lettuce, radishes, cabbage, kolrabi, broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, swiss chard. Start them inside now to put out when the temperatures start to cool down, and you'll have a wonderful garden THIS year!

Spaghetti sauce is easy. Incredibly easy.

I didn't grow up learning how to cook. When I went off to college I could make a salad, and cook nooles and instant rice. I lived in an apartment, so I had to make my own meals, and I had to budget for things in a way that I had never learned.

Congratulations on your first day at being a full-time homemaker! You'll do great!

Unknown said...

I agree with all of the above comments! I've stayed home four years now and every day brings something new. Keep in mind that being an efficient mom/wife doesn't mean you have to live life like the prairie. Although, many aspects of that would be fun!

Unknown said...

Well, I didn't do anything overnight! I did make a new recipe yesterday though! It was pretty tasty. I'm still working on getting laundry done that was from the Lake, so there's an idea of how fast I'm going to learn to do some of these things:) Now, if I had a little bit of Justin in me, it probably would all have been done:)

Brandy--I was not expecting you to actually comment on my post! That was a nice surprise to read! Thank you so much for your encouragement! I'm learning a lot from your site. Thank you for sharing with everyone.

Suzanne said...

Hello,
Glad you found Brandy:-) She has two interviews on my blog you may wish to read:-)
Blessings,
Suzanne