Pages

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Peaches!

I think you're going to get sick of my new hobby! The biology nerd in me found the peach tree to be AMAZING these days! I could do a whole biology lesson on the transformation of these flowers...I'm sure a whole semester of lessons if I got detailed enough! I won't bore you with that, though...well, maybe just a little;-) And as a little side note, I did not do any post-production developing on these photos except for a little cropping here and there. I love the images just the way they are.
Below is a great shot of the peach starting to grow. The flower is the reproductive organ of flowering plants. The peach is growing at the base of the female reproductive structure, called the pistil. (Love the shot of the pistil protruding out!) The peach is actually the ovary of the flower, and inside the ovary is the seed (this requires fertilization, of course). All those little dangly things are the male reproductive parts of the flower, called the stamen. At the end of the stamen is the anther, where the pollen is (allergies, anyone?).

Here's a great side-shot of a little peach.

And, I couldn't leave out our little red bud tree.

No comments: