Pages

Sunday, April 15, 2012

Tornado Scare

Tornados really scare me! They used to really, really scare me. Last night, we prepared for the worst, as a tornado that was on the ground was heading straight for us! Because of the day-in-advance warning, I prepared by clearing out the closet in the basement under the stairs for our little shelter (the closet was completely packed full, so it took a little work!). We watched the news of the tornado as it hit McConnell Air Force Base late last night, and at that point the TV froze and then the power went out. We live right by the base and I was starting to freak out, which made Jordan freak out--you know she gets scared easily, especially when her mommy is also scared!

We hunkered down, and by this time, Bo was sleeping in his car seat in the closet, too. Justin made his mom come over because she doesn't have a basement, but she refused to cram into the closet with us! We heard some loud wind, but that was about it. A little bit later we learned that the tornado was on a path just north of us. We used the opportunity to teach Jordan to pray when she's scared. She prayed for Jesus to protect us and to help us not be scared. God answered her prayer:)

The power stayed off until 5:30 this morning. During those 6 or 7 hours of no power, our back-up sump pump went off every 4-5 minutes. I'm SO GLAD that I invested in one last summer. Our house has lasted 20 years with just the power operated sump pump, but I always got worried when the storms came and water poured in. What if the power went out? Our house would be flooded in minutes. But not last night! Our back-up pump did it's job!

The girls in their shelter, using the flash on the camera...
This is really what it looked like...

2 comments:

Courtney W. said...

I'm glad to hear you all are okay. We thought about you being so close to the path! We, too, recently put in a back up sump pump. Thankfully we've never had to use it but, oh my, we would have the same problem of a flooded basement with no power!
Your shelter looks nice and cozy with all of the blankets and pillows!

Unknown said...

Thank you, Courtney! The shelter was cozy and Jordan wanted to keep sleeping in it! Water literally POURS into our sump/hole when it rains. I can't believe it took me so long to get one--but glad I got one in time for needing it!